Friday, December 30, 2011

The Big Day: Vulvar Vestibulectomy

This morning I was a wreck. I woke up at 5:45am and took a shower with antibacterial soap. I also shaved "down there" because I knew it would be 6 weeks before I would get the chance again. My doctor also said that I had to keep that area dry after surgery so I though it would be easier with no hair. After my shower,  I got dressed in my pajama pants and a sweatshirt and my boyfriend and I headed to the hospital. I checked in at the main desk, filled out some paperwork, and sat in the waiting room waiting to go back to pre-op. They called my name pretty quickly and brought me back into a hospital room with curtains along wall that faced an open hallway. Nurses came in and asked me my name and birthday and checked my vitals. Everything looked good and another nurse came in to take a blood sample while someone else prepared my IV. At this point, I was all clammy from my nerves getting the best of me. I hate needles and the IV was freaking my out a little. Mostly I just started asking everyone lots of questions  and talking a little faster than normal. Once the nurses left I relaxed for a while until my obgyn (also my surgeon) came in to go through everything. She was cheery and reassured me that everything would go well.
Then, the anesthesiologist came in and discussed my options with me. I mentioned this in an earlier post but I will reiterate anyway.

Option 1: A spinal injection to numb me from the waste down (not an epidural which is what I originally thought). With this option I can choose to either be completely unconscious with medicine in my IV, somewhat conscious (going in and out) but not aware of anything going on and not retaining and memory of being in the OR, or mostly conscious with a little cocktail to stay relaxed.

Option 2: To be completely sedated with an intubation tube down my throat.

I went through the pros and cons of each and the doctor pretty much said that both have about equal risks. I personally didn't want to need assistance to breathe so I chose option 1 with moderate to heavy sedation. I didn't want to be completely unconscious but I didn't want to have any memory of the occurrence. I also asked for a little cocktail to prepare me for the spinal injection because I was nervous that would hurt. I had a spinal trauma a few years ago where I fractured a lower vertebrae but the anesthesiologist said this would not be a problem.

Then my obgyn came in one more time to make sure I was ready and a nice nurse came in to take me to the OR. There was two drugs put in my IV: one to make me more relaxed and comfortable and one to make sure I didn't have any acid reflux which I do get on occasion (and apparently is a big deal when being put under anesthesia). I asked when I would start to feel the meds and the nurse said by the time I got through the second set of double doors. I remember being wheeled in to the OR and asked to sit on the side so my back was in place for the injection. The next thing I know I'm waking up in the recovery room. The room looks exactly the same as my pre-op room and it all felt like a dream. I was completely alert and awake and I quickly checked to make sure I could move my legs. The curtains were open and one of the nurses in the hallway noticed I was waking up. She came over and asked how I was doing. I couldn't believe I didn't even remember the spinal injection or anything after that. I wasn't feeling drowsy or sick to my stomach. The nurse brought me some more warm blankets and a cup of apple juice with Motrin. My boyfriend came in and gave me a big kiss. I was so happy to see him and so happy it was all over. Surprisingly, I wasn't in a lot of pain and my vagina felt normal for the most part. Of course, I hadn't really tried to move at all yet. I asked how long I had been in recovery before I woke up and they said only 15 minutes. My boyfriend said I was in the OR for about an hour and a half.

The nurse had me go to the bathroom and collect some urine in a pan so that she could make sure everything looked normal. It worked out great because I really had to go to the bathroom after all the fluid that was pumped into my system. I was also given a little squirt bottle that I could use to rinse off after urinating that I can take home with me. Everything felt normal except I could not stop shivering even though i wasn't that cold. Eventually I relaxed and the shivering stopped. I put my coat on and sat in a wheelchair on top of a blow up doughnut pillow to keep the pressure off of my vagina. I was wheeled out to the car and headed home.

Overall a very good experience and I highly recommend the type of anesthesia I chose. I was told it leaves your system really quickly as opposed to other drugs. It also doesn't make you nauseous like laughing gas can. I haven't felt any side affects from it yet, although I was told to lookout for a headache that is sometimes caused by spinal injections which hasn't occurred yet.

As far as medications from here on out, I was prescribed Oxycodone for the pain but I decided I would only take it if I absolutely need it. I have never taken strong pain killers like that and I know they can cause constipation which is something I need to avoid because it can put tension on the area. Other than that I was told to take 2 ibuprofen every 4 hours and 2 extra strength tylenol every 4-6 hours as needed.

I've been home now since 1pm and I've been feeling great. I took a 2.5 hour nap and had some vegetable soup and a few cookies. I also took a Ducolax stool softener just in case. At around 5pm I did a Sitz bath which is such a pain. I didn't make the water warm enough and it cooled off so quickly. The water in the bag wasn't warm enough either. The little hose kept flipping up and squirting me in the thigh and making a mess. I ended up just using a cup and pouring warm water into the sitz bath as it cooled off. The seat is also unbelievable uncomfortable and I feel like I'm going to break it because it's a little small for my toilet seat. Someone needs to invent a better one because this is not going to be fun to do for 20 minutes 3x a day for the next week and 2x a day for the following month. I used a hairdryer on cool to dry the area afterwards and am using chlorine free organic cotton pads in my underwear to catch any blood.

At 7pm I took 2 ibuprophen and I think that is plenty to keep me comfortable. I don't think I have a particularly high pain tolerance but so far, no oxycodone is necessary. I haven't even needed the tylenol yet.

More updates soon!
Comments and questions are welcome - and if you are in New England and are looking for a doctor to perform this surgery you can send me an email at mylifewithvvs@gmail.com to get more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment