Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Physical Therapy for Vulvar Vestibulitis

I started physical therapy for my vulvar vestibulitis about a year ago. This was one of the first things my 3rd obgyn had recommended to me. I got a good recommendation from her about a PT that has worked with patients like me frequently. I had to buy a special sensor that goes into the vaginal opening and measures how well your pelvic muscles tighten and relax. You lay on a comfortable table (like at the doctors) and flex and relax your pelvic muscles on command (basically doing kegels). Your muscle movements are tracked on a computer monitor which you can view afterwards. Then my PT worked on massaging the pelvic muscles both interior and exterior. My muscles were clearly very tight from guarding. Because sex was so painful, those muscles would tighten even thinking about it. I also learned about several different stretches that help my muscles relax. I went 2x a week for about 6 weeks and showed great success in my measured results with the sensor. I learned how to control my pelvic floor muscles and most importantly how to relax them to reduce pain. The only downfall was that I saw no difference in the pain I experienced during intercourse. I stopped going at the beginning of last summer but I plan to go again in two more weeks when I should be 95% recovered from surgery.

6 comments:

  1. I am currently doing PT for vestibulitis. Don't you think you should have given it more time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, My PT and I agreed after 6 weeks of therapy that muscle tightness was not the main issue here, it was more of a side effect of whatever else was causing my pain. I saw great improvement in muscle relaxation during my time doing physical therapy but the pain was more of a skin irritation concentrated to a specific area. I hope you have good luck with PT though! Many are very successful especially if your main issue is vaginismus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am post-op 3 weeks. I had stitches removed last week and I'm back at work, still using a pillow, still doing sitz baths. I still have some tenderness in that area and a little itchiness, perhaps due to my pubic hair being shaved. All in all, not bad. Does this seem right for this time period. I'm going to go to the gym today and walk on the treadmill. I need to do some exercise. I'm going nuts...

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds about right to me. I had itching too and I think it was mostly from shaving. Also keep doing sitz baths until about week 6 or 7. Even though I felt everything was healed, my doctor still recommended it.

    Getting used to the lack of exercise was very difficult. My back got really stiff and so I had to do a lot of upper body stretching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did the surgery go? I hope it went well and was able to help with your therapy. My cousin also had the same condition, and was keeping tabs on what she’s wearing. She avoided tight pants before and even after her therapy and surgery for safety. I hope that you’re doing fine now, G!

    Regards,
    Sienna Christie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's great that you followed through with it after your third OB/GYN reffered you to it. I also think it's great that you plan to go back. I've never had this done, but I'm sure if your doctors are recommending it it will end up helping you in the long run! http://www.womentc.com/conditions-and-treatments/penetration-pain-disorders/vulvar-vestibulitis/

    ReplyDelete